Friday, May 30, 2008

Down the River, Up a Creek

I will admit it. I am a total procrastinator. I was that girl who would watch reruns of Law and Order until 11:00 PM the night before a major paper was due and then be up all night constructing the sucker. Thank God I had fabulous friends who would meet me at my dorm door to get my paper and turn it in for me while I slept through class. Somehow I always pulled high grades out of my ass at the last minute. I even became a bit superstitious about it. A few times I would actually plan out my semester project weeks in advance. 9/10 times I would get a lower grade. Something about waiting until the last minute brought me luck or I performed extremely well under a deadline. I suppose my ritual of procrastinating drove people nuts (hi mom!). Alas, it works for me.

Why am I bringing this up, you ask? Well, remember that whole move thing going down in a few weeks? Yeah, didn't pack a single box the whole weekend. Instead I spent Saturday in my pj's reading a book. Sunday was just too dang pretty to be inside laboring, so instead we took Edgar on a 14 mile canoe trip down the Blue River in Southern Indiana right outside Louisville, Kentucky. That is a 2.5 hour car ride one way from our house. Edgar did fantastic. He loved the rapids and swam around the river whenever we stopped on the bank. The only bad part was he ate something funky on the bank. Of course as we were yelling, "Edgar! Edgar!," he wolfed it down faster, resembling a snake swallowing his prey whole. Whatever that tasty morsel was, it didn't agree with him. By Monday, he's having some soft stool and was a pooped puppy (pun intended). I spent the day cleaning the house. I figured I couldn't start packing the mess until the mess was organized. This was my rationale and to be honest, a coping mechanism I employed frequently before papers or projects were due. Organize the exterior while you organize the interior thoughts.

On Tuesday morning, we awoke to find several diarrhea spots around the bedroom, including in the bed. It went from bad to worse. He then threw up three times and continued to have the runs although there were copious amounts of blood as well. By now, I'm thanking my lucky stars we already had a vet appointment to check on his skin infection from a few weeks ago. While I was trying to calm him down from all of the spewing of both ends (ok, and calm me down too) I was petting his back only to then find a tick! I am completely freaking out about this now. It was what pushed me over the edge. All of a sudden I kept deteriorating from a calm professional ex-vet tech to a raving mother panicking about her child. J did his best to ignore the lunatic he married and kept his wits about him. All the while, he's muttering under his breath that he is definitely not ready for kids.

I finally got Edgar to the vet only to have him admitted to the hospital. They got the tick out, started IV fluids, and gave a bunch of different meds. While I knew it was the best place for him, I was a bit off kilter. By the afternoon it was clear he was going to have to stay the night and we transferred him to the emergency vet hospital with staff 24/7. It was necessary as he chewed out his catheter in one arm already and they were hosing him down every 30 min or so. They diagnosed him with Hemorrhaging Gastroenteritis. Very scary for a little dude. At this point I'm just weeping on and off and J's asking what I did with his wife and could he get her back, please. The next morning Edgar was transferred back to the other hospital. I think I drove the clinic crazy as I called every 3 or 4 hours. By 5:00 on Wednesday, he was discharged to home with a new special bland diet, several meds, instruction sheets, and a very very expensive vet bill.

As you can see, Wednesday evening was shot for packing as I was just focused on being a mom. And well, yesterday night after work I was on call, so that was obviously out. Tonight we're going to try to catch In The Mode, an exhibit at the Indianapolis Museum of Art borrowed from LA as it is their last night of the exhibition. See? Packing still postponed. Perhaps tomorrow I'll start with the cardboard boxes. Too bad I'm not getting graded. That would be motivation enough for me.

No comments: