Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Awaiting Adventures of Healing

I have the most wonderful friends imaginable. I have received more support, phone calls, emails, and I even had my closest friend give me frequent flier miles so I could make the trip. Even just writing this makes me overwhelmed. All of my Ya Ya's know how important Ginny was to me. All of them met her at my wedding or earlier.

At one particular dinner party with Ginny and my friends I remember she had no qualms playing the fortune cookie game "in bed" while at the dinner table. I thought my guest was going to fall over in shock, but he loved it and the two of them had a mutual adoration of one another ever since. Another time, one of my ya ya's heard exactly what Ginny thought of my ex-boyfriend in no uncertain terms. All of my friends come from strongly dominated matriarchies. Each of us are destined to turn into our mothers and carry the torch when that time comes.

My matriarchy was thrilled to hear I was coming. Cousins and aunts are busy planning the Celebration of Life to be held on Saturday. Her obituary will be published tomorrow and Friday. I miss my aunts and cousins. Tonight they are all gathering for dinner as my aunt from Hawaii arrived this morning. As usual, the Temples are using their humor to cope. My mom relayed this story to me:

The women were sorting through some of Ginny's belongings when they came across her mink coat. Ginny was very clear that she thought it should go to either myself or my glamorous cousin. My mom spoke up and said that she knew I wouldn't want it. Besides, I wouldn't have anywhere to wear it. I'm mean really: can you imagine me on public transit in the land of intellectuals out here in Boston in a mink??? All of this is true. When I was younger Mom would voice her desire to have a fur coat and I would exclaim in horror, "Oh Mom! How could you! Its just like wearing Henry!" Henry was our first dog. Needless-to-say, Mom never got a fur. My glamorous cousin was happy to take the mink off of every one's hands and at that point noticed that Ginny's name was embroidered into the lining. Apparently, this is standard for all furs. Hell, you spend that kind of cash, you should have your name in gold thread as far as I'm concerned! As my Aunt was explaining this to the rest of the family she said, "Of course that's true! I have my name embroidered on my beaver." You can imagine the amounts of giggling going on there.

Tomorrow I'm going on an "adventure." I call it this because I don't know how many times I'll get lost in the process. I get to find my way up to Manchester, New Hampshire to catch the flight. Seeing that we only have one car and I haven't really spent any time with J, my husband offered to wake up before dawn with me to drive me the hour north and then come home in time for work. I think he is also highly concerned with non-existent sense of direction and venturing into a new State. Oh, and did I mention that the price is horrendous for a rental car to go one way? With this plan, he will get the car for the 5 days that I'm gone. I'll hang out at the airport until my flight leaves at 11:30ish to Las Vegas. Who knows...I may even put a quarter or two into a slot machine as I catch my connecting flight into Salt Lake. It will be a day of travel.

I worry about leaving J and Edgar. I know they are big boys and can handle themselves just fine, thank you. However, it is J's first week of fellowship and he actually has the 3 day weekend off. He works the following weekend. I also worry as I'll be flying back to SLC for my brother's wedding later this month. That's a lot of time away from one another. (I can hear my readers collectively groan for the sappy couple.) But, its true. And its a holiday. Again, I know they will be fine. I don't know if he actually thought I would take my girlfriend up on her offer of the free ticket when he said, "Do what you've got to do." Perhaps I'm just worrying about it because it seems to be the one area of my life where I feel a small inkling of control.

I know the trip will be healing for me and that, ultimately, is exactly what I need to do.

No comments: