Friday, September 19, 2008

Crazy Busy

I've. Been. Busy. There, I admit it. I no longer have a full plate. I have a buffet. What's crazy is that I'm considering adding more.

On my birthday earlier this month I decided it would be a great idea to pursue another masters. After some highly disappointing rejections from doing organizational development as a full time job, I recognized that Boston is not the land of where you can spin your educational degrees. Either you have it, or you don't. I do not have a degree in organizational development...but I will!

My first masters in social work was in an accelerated 16 month program. I thought I was crazy for attempting this and truly it sucked the life out of me, but also enriched me in ways I cannot even begin to express my gratitude. 16 months to achieve a masters. I always was one to work part time through school. I worked in various jobs from a receptionist to a pastry chef and a vet tech in high school and college. It was such an amazing breath of fresh air to just concentrate on school when I was in New Orleans. I had never been happier because I was so balanced and focused.

A decade later (ouch, that one makes me cringe) I return to school as one of those non-traditional students. You know, the older person always with his/her hand raised and always, always prepared. This was the person I loathed in my previous academic careers. Oh. My. God. I've turned into that person. I cannot wait to tackle the 260+ pages of reading a week. I actually offer my opinion in class. I am prepared for my assignments. This is a drastic change for me as I used to wait until the night before papers were due, watch back to back Law and Orders on TNT, clean my room, and then somewhere around 11:00 PM I'd start on the paper only to finish it at 5:00 or so and have a roommate turn it in during class so I could catch up on my sleep. I have turned a corner somewhere.

Whilst I thought 16 months was crazy (and still do), you can officially take my measurements for a straight jacket now. I'm now enrolled in a 10 month Masters of Arts program for Organizational Development and Psychology. I'll have my second masters by June 1st. C.R.A.Z.Y. What makes it even more psycho is the fact that it is a program supposedly designed for working adults. The program has attracted such talented individuals who are already the Vice Presidents of some national companies from around the country. Somehow they are making their weekly business trips to Antwerp for a company merger and going to school. I don't know how successful they feel about it, though and that is a huge point. I truly anticipate a few dropouts before the end of this first month.

In the meantime of drowning in action process models, papers, discussion boards, and online lectures, I'm considering taking a full time job essentially creating a new program in medical social work. I'm beginning to wonder how smart of an idea this truly is. Something will have to give whether it be the housework, individual down time, sleep, eating, my marriage, social supports, etc.. To say I'm concerned is an understatement, but (un)fortunately, I don't have the time to think about it.

No comments: