Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Local Traditions

When I was counseling drug addicted teenagers I learned all about 4/20.  Even though I was in a sorority in college I didn't have a clue what this was.  It was anticipated that we would have runaways from the program every year on this day.  Now that I'm living in Boston I realize this day has a different meaning.

Has anyone heard of Patriots day?  Believe it or not, its a real holiday here.  It's analogous to Mardi Gras in New Orleans or Pioneer Day in Utah:  a real regional holiday.  Businesses close to observe this day and over in Lexington there is a reenactment of the Minuteman's rise up against the British at some God awful hour in the morning on Saturday.  I think I may actually struggle out of bed and in true local fashion head over to Dunkin' Donuts for coffee and a treat before heading to the battlefield.  J thought of bringing Edgar, but I think gunfire might be a bit scary for him.  

Before I lived here I was vaguely aware that the Boston marathon happened every spring, but I had no idea it was always on Patriots day.  J's dad ran it once in the 80's.  When he helped us move here he called somewhere along the turnpike and said that the marathon began out in Framingham or somewhere.  All I know is it was out in the boonies.  That's a long way to run.  This year I have a friend who is running in the marathon.  I hear it's a blast to find a place on Commonwealth Avenue to cheer on the runners.  Perhaps I'll make it out to cheer her on just like a local.

No comments: