Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Getting Ahead of Myself

As we move closer and closer to the date of the move, I'm finding that the thin lacquer of denial is cracking and crumbling. Even if I can actively and willfully procrastinate packing by watching the last DVD of John Adams, the inevitable shows up in my unconscious. Last night I was fraught with dreams of repainting fascia and eves on our new house only to realize that the old owners hadn't moved out yet. Buying a house means there are a lot of projects - several of them I am well aware of thanks to the inspection. I realize I am aware of them while my husband has been blissfully unaware by busy finishing up his year of fellowship. I have pretty much handled this whole transaction single handedly much like my first purchase 5 years ago back in SLC. J is blissfully unaware of what a sister joint is, what premiums we're considering for homeowners insurance, the billions of copies of bank statements / taxes / IRAs / W2's / promise of our first born I've overnighted to corporate, what our monthly average energy bill will be, and what is involved in solving the ice damming problem from the inside of the house.

Instead he is more concerned about aesthetics. For example, one of the previous owners of our 1927 gem actually (gasp) cut the french doors off at the base to clear the carpet (most likely shag) they installed leading from the foyer into the living room. Since the house has been restored to the hardwood floors, the original french doors are a bit short. He's been scheming on how to restore the doors. I'm more concerned with practical things like buying a dehumidifier for the basement; apparently, it's a must for Milwaukee. I'm waiting for him to begin to perseverate on how to patch the awful hole in the wall the current owners drilled to install a flat screen TV with cable access. Honestly, he doesn't have time to really think about these things has he should be studying for boards. But, alas, those books remain on the shelves while he attempts to figure out how to merge iTunes accounts on our MacBook Pro and dream of how to stream it to our stereo.

If you have followed my blog for awhile you know that I have a secret love affair with Home Depot and DIY. I *think* I'm more handy than perhaps I truly am, but I have a huge spirit with need for learning and projects. I'll barrel into things head first. For example? I'd like to refinish the front door. But it will be highly difficult with my husband lurking about over the next two months as he will want to meddle and become distracted from studying for boards. Boards are his top priority. Ok, well, they are my first priority and yet I have little control over them. 100% honesty? I have absolutely no control over them. There I said it. So I sublimate my energy into things I can accomplish. A house is a perfect solution. Now, if only my back with cooperate and somehow convince J to go study anywhere else besides home...

Alas, I get ahead of myself. First thing is first: those damn empty flattened boxes in the basement we saved from last year. Wouldn't you know I can't deafen out their cries any longer and have got to fill them with our treasures and worldly goods.

No comments: