Friday, March 21, 2008

Do You See What I See?

Hallelujah! Daylight savings is upon us and Spring has officially sprung! As much as I love my blue light and the strange eerie castings it sheds across my profile most mornings, I will gladly trade it in for some bonafide sunshine and 50 degree days. I would rather give Edgar tons of baths watching the mud stream from his four paws and scrawny legs from the daily walks than be tormented by darkness at 5:00 PM. I'd rather heed the spring tornado sirens than keep watching Indiana weather forecasters embarrass themselves daily by *predicting* inches upon inches of snow only to get a scuff. Seriously, they at least get the tornado warnings right.

Back in February we had an unusual thaw. I was working late that night and was just trying to get home to beat the storm front moving into the area. Driving home I had to over correct a number of times just to keep straight in the gusting winds. When the hail started I prayed that they wouldn't reach golf ball diameters and cause my car damage. And then when the lightening bolts started, I had seriously thought I had been transported to the Emerald City as the sky was THAT GREEN. Now I see how Mr. Frank Baum got his "inspiration" for that whole tornado, Oz, Emerald City association. All he needed to do was somehow write about the stench of ozone that is not unlike rotten eggs into the plot and it would have been dead on. However, I doubt that charming detail would have made it past his editors on the first draft.

I came home to find a somewhat empty house. Opening up the small interior bathroom door I found my husband huddled in the dog's bed with Edgar on his lap. Some windows were open and the handy dandy wind-up flashlight/weather radio was in the room. What's amusing about this is that a lot of the television stations broadcast on the radio so when they keep referencing, "Look at True View Viper and see that front moving across the area," well, it somehow LOSES something. Oh yeah, I can totally see it from my bathroom radio.

No comments: