Monday, March 3, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Curse of Safari Irony

Well, somewhere around today I should have been landing in Nairobi with a trunk full of medical supplies, a suitcase filled with needed luxuries from home and modest clothing, and trying to barter for a bus to take us to Eldoret or perhaps book a voyage on a "commuter plane" (aka crop duster). Alas, I am indeed still in Indiana on a night forecast for freezing rain. One of my most ironic moments today was finding that the safari style is HOT for spring. Are you kidding me? Like I'm going to wear jungle prints and linen cargo pants with flashy sandals to work. Where does this stuff come from?

Ironically even once a doctor was beheaded by a machete in a village on Lake Victoria, the program director still held deep optimism that Kenya would be up and running by March. By mid-February, J and I had pretty much ruled it out for ourselves. It wasn't until literally last week that we heard March was off but they will be on for April. We still decided this wasn't a smart move although at one point in time my husband thought spending 3K on plane tickets might be a good investment for one month just to avoid doing another ward month from hell. I almost agreed with him.

Last February J had his first ward month since we'd been married. I will say the program was really wonderful to us during our first few months of newlywed bliss giving him as many "easy" months possible for us to spend time together. When February hit it was the rudest awakening by far and it brought out every ugly demon possible in a female psyche. Our only saving grace was February is the shortest month of the year.

This past Feb (as in just a few days ago) marked another hallmark so to speak. It was his last pediatric rotation. Ever. Like, he could take the boards and pass, ever. Oh my god where did the time go? We only have four short months left of residency. Two of those months will be ward months. And then, another chapter will begin for us.

Its a bit scary as we've known this change has been looming in the not so distant future for awhile, but it wasn't until the cold spell snapped this past weekend and I realized its closer than I thought. Panic began to set. So much to do in so little time.

No comments: