Thursday, October 25, 2007

Ironic

Last night I had a networking meeting at a local organization that specialized in eating disorders. I checked in with the nurse at the front desk and explained I was there for a meeting when she said, "Dr. So and So will be right with you." Uh, well ok. It began to sound like I was there for an appointment. I managed to sit down among the other people in the waiting room (only one looking like her BMI was about 12) and started to busy myself with the magazines. Only thoughtful magazines like "Newsweek" and "Fishing Enthusiast" really existed. Yup, no "People" or other fun fashion mags existed with beautiful people, understandably.

Another consultant from our organization came in and identified herself to the nurse and was given the same response. While I just sat there, she actually corrected her. "No, I'm here for a meeting, not an appointment."

The nurse said, "Uh huh. And the doctor will be with you shortly." This consultant actually left the office to reexamine the sign on the window identifying the business, as if to double check. When she came in I finally put her out of her misery and identified myself so she didn't feel so awkward. Funny thing, she noticed the same thing that I did.

"Where are all of the fun magazines like, "Elle," and "People?"" Ok, she actually said this aloud. In front of the size 0.5 sitting across from us who was actually reading "Time." I could have corrected her, but I just shrugged my shoulders as if I didn't have a clue.

Our CEO came in with another consultant and finally the doctor came to gather our group. We were given a tour of the building and then brought to the Art Therapy room for a slide show. Yes, a slide show. This was the strangest networking meeting I think I've ever had. The doctor began to treat it like a Grand Rounds at a hospital. She gave her credentials, some stats, and then went into diagnostic indicators for different eating disorders.

I actually learned quite a bit from this lady. For example I had no idea there was a non-purging type of bulimia. As she was going through the information my stomach began to growl. Not just some little noises. I mean GROWL. I apologized stating that I had missed lunch. Ok, here is the ironic part: the next slide was all about how "missing" meals is a sign of bulimia. I began to giggle. Yes, there were a few eyes on me at this point in time. The doctor was not amused and asked what was so funny. I think she thought I was making fun of eating disorders. Instead of explaining I apologized and asked her to continue. Of all the days I didn't get lunch, this would happen.

She talked about how they have this great interdisciplinary staff and how hard it is to find a dietitian who doesn't actually have an eating disorder them self. Never really thought of it, but I could see how that would be a problem. Finally at the end of the presentation the doctor gave us folders of marketing material. I'm surprised after her talk about denial/precontemplation being part of the stages of change, hearing my stomach protest, and admitting I missed lunch that she didn't give me her card as well.

We finally left the agency and adjourned to a local bar and grille for staff meeting. We all joked that we could go binge now, especially for those of us who had missed lunch.

No comments: