Sunday, January 20, 2008

Suddenly Apathetic Discovery/Seasonal Affective Disorder/Supposed to Act Different

Well, its almost 4:00 on a Sunday and I am still in my pajamas. I can officially say that this weekend has been a complete bust. I've spent most of my weekend in my pajamas...which incidentally are just a pair of flannel pj pants I "borrowed" from my husband, an old t-shirt, hospital socks I got when I had my appy 3 years ago, and an old sweatshirt of my Dad's from his shoulder surgery back in 1990. I look stylin'.

As I write this I can hear my Mom's voice in my head remarking, "How depressing! Yuck!"

Well, she's half right and half wrong. Its kind of nice being this lazy and comfortable when you have so much indecision about what to do with the day. I wanted to go see a movie, J didn't as he wanted a more active day. It should be noted that he is also still in his pjs. Not so much action going on here. I ended up eating leftover broccoli from last night's dinner for lunch. I plan on eating something out of the freezer for dinner.

On the other hand, it is rather depressing to still be in your bedclothes and still not have a great idea of options of what to do by the time the day is almost over. I could have gone to the bookstore. Didn't. Could have gone window shopping. Didn't. Could have done yoga. Didn't. It reminds me of when I was little and would want to play something like school or restaurant, but the thought of putting the toys away would just deter me from getting them out in the first place. Its the same faulty thinking going on decades later.

Part of my reluctance to do anything is the weather. God, I hate this time of year. If I could just zap January through March I would be a much happier person. I know this time of year sucks and I do everything I can to prevent the suckage. I plant stinky Narcissus plants just to bring in a little green and life into the house. I clean like a mad woman and take multi vitamins with B complexes faithfully. Last year I spent exorbitant amounts of money going to the ritzy grocery store in town where a loaf of bread is the same price as imported cheese or your first born just to listen to the classical music, browse exotic mustards, and buy flowers weekly. The flowers died and made me sad so I had to replace them only to have the cycle of life let me down again. Like I said, God, I hate this time of year.

Last week I watched a woman from Utah ask a very crazy metaphysical gynecological "expert" on Oprah ask about Seasonal Affective Disorder. J and I have been "browsing" the light therapy boxes at Costco for a few months now. I've actually lusted after one for years, but couldn't afford to rationalizing spending $150 on a box of blue lights. Currently he's doing research in medical journals on their effectiveness. To be honest, that doctor on Oprah was a loon and I either blocked out what she said about SAD or just plain dismissed it. Oprah lost a few street cred points on my list after putting that lady on her show.

Besides apathy, they also say that irritability is a major sign of SAD. Perhaps my reaction to Oprah's show just gives more reason why I should get out of these damn pjs and get over to Costco.
Could. Probably won't.

No comments: