Friday, August 14, 2009

Consumer Warnings

Moving to Wisconsin meant that I could finally get my Utah storage unit shipped. There were many things that I was looking forward to reuniting with. My Pottery Barn couch, the rug, my coffee table, and of course my beloved high efficiency washer and dryer. I'm one of those who get excited about energy star appliances. When I bought my first house I was thrilled to head down to Sears and explore the washers that only used 13 gallons of water per load vs. the typical 30 gallons. Not only that, but it didn't have an agitator so my delicates really would be better preserved. I'm telling you, this was exciting for me. My enthusiasm spread through the family and every so often I would end up washing Ginny's sofa slip covers or old quilts.

In anticipation of my shipment arriving I scheduled a Sears maintenance guy to come to the house and do the once over of my beloved appliances. I figured I wanted someone to look at the gaskets, hoses, and seals after they had been in storage for 3 years. Sears thought it was a bit overkill, but they were happy to take our money. I did some light reading of installation of the appliances from my file of manuals and warranties I keep handy. They offer special hints like suggesting to not reach into the washer while parts are moving and don't mix bleach with toilet cleaners in the washer. I'm not certain why anyone would put toilet cleaner in the washer to begin with, but I figure that someone did this at one point in time and filed a lawsuit that caused enough ruckus to actually have them now make it a specific warning in the use and care guide.

Over breakfast, my husband was perusing the light literature and noticed something. It was under the "Washing Procedures" heading.
I don't know about you, but I can understand not wanting to wash a crayon, keys, coins, or paperclip, but a FROG? Seriously, who keeps frogs in their pockets? Little boys, perhaps? I don't know of any little boys who wear suspenders or for that matter have their elbows bend like the way its depicted in the illustration. A frog. Now you know this booklet has gone through several proofs before it got published and yet no one seriously questioned the frog.

Note to self: remove all amphibians from pockets in the future.

No comments: