Monday, August 17, 2009

Yokel Local

Believe it or not, that's the name of a New Glarus beer. We picked up a six pack of the local microbrew last week to celebrate becoming official Wisconsinites....or is it Sconies? Either way, we have the license plates and drivers licenses to prove that we are officially residents of America's Dairyland. So far it's my 4th State where I'm an official resident. I can't count Louisiana because I never did make that trip to the DMV.

This trip to the DMV wasn't as eventful as my others. The only thing worth blogging about is that the clerk kept trying to remember which town in Massachusetts she visited back in the 1980's. "You know, the one with the historical college that's been around for a long time?" Um, yeah, that TOTALLY narrows it down. Boston, and for that matter, Massachusetts, is known for it's universities, hospitals, bars, and cemeteries. Sure, I know exactly which town you visited.

There are a few things I've noticed about being in Wisconsin so far.

1) There are 3 dedicated polka radio stations in the Milwaukee area.

2) One of the polka music stations is right next to the Mexican radio station.

3) I never noticed how much polka and Mexican music sound the same. They both love the accordion.

4) There is a strong cajun influence here; go figure we're near where the French Canadians originated before migrating down to the bayou in Louisiana.

5) Zydeco, predominantly cajun music, also has a love affair for the accordion.

6) The State Fair is huge, although they are still years behind Minnesota's State Fair in the deep-fry-food-on-a-stick. Deep fried Snickers was sooo 2003.

7) Organic, buying local, supporting your own, and sustainable living are rooted strong here. Go farmers markets, local bistros, small bookstores, and Alterra coffee.

8) Restaurants are still not smoke-free. I'm just waiting for July 2010 for that celebration!!!

9) Dairies still do home delivery! Didn't think I'd see that again until we moved back to Utah.

10) The Green Bay Packers are named after meat packers. Blech. They are the only community owned sports franchise.

11) It's beautiful here. People are friendly. Neighbors look out for one another. The clouds are amazing.

12) Milwaukee is known for it's diversity and festivals. After Summerfest - the worlds largest music festival (yes, it even beats out Jazz Fest) - every weekend hosts a different cultural festival. Irish fest was last weekend. I believe Indian Summer festival is coming up soon.

13) My grandmother was born in Rhinelander, Wisconsin...a mere 3+ hours away up north. My husband works for the same medical school that graduated my great grandfather in dentistry (back then, medical and dental students spent 2 years together and then "specialized" their last 2 years of medical school.)

14) They have fireflies, bunnies, chipmunks, and squirrels on cool summer nights. Really? Can it get better?

I'll let you know how I feel about it once winter hits. My perception might shift a bit as the earth tilts away from the sun.

No comments: