Saturday, August 29, 2009

Shiver Me Timbers

I don't know what happened. It was like I blinked my eyes and - poof - summer was gone. Just when I got the shorts and tank tops unpacked, I realize that the need for sweatshirts and layers came earlier than anticipated.

For the first time since I can remember I'm actually going to have an Autumn birthday on September 5th. Being so close to labor day and the beginning of school, I typically received some sort of back to school fashion gift. When I was younger it involved some sort of itchy wool skirt and sweater with saddle shoes my Mom thought was adorable, but I couldn't wear my new outfit until it got colder. In Utah that was usually around the end of October. This year it's not even the end of August and I'm contemplating turning on the heat to adjust to the mid-50 degree weather outside. As one friend put it: Welcome to the north!

I have it on good authority that Milwaukee is not as cold as Minneapolis in the winter. That makes sense seeing that it is a bit closer to the north pole. I also heard a rumor/wives tale that because it was a mild summer we should expect a mild winter. However this knowledge does not protect me from the mild chiding from my husband that I will freeze this winter. I keep telling him I'll adapt. I will. But, he finds it humorous when I say this given that I can be cold on an 80 degree summer day.

No comments: