Sunday, December 9, 2007

I'm Dreaming of a Warm Christmas

Well, I can report that J and I finally hung up the garlands. The tree is still an issue in limbo. Now instead of having three boxes in our living room filled with decorations, the big giant one is now empty...but still in the middle of our living room. I'm beginning to think of stacking the boxes on top of one another to form a pyramid and decorating those as the Christmas tree instead.

I just read that Christmas is only 17 days away. On some level that sucks. It is raining cats and dogs outside which doesn't exactly match the holiday scene. Although, it is a vast improvement from last year when we had to turn on our air conditioning for the Christmas party we threw for our three friends: a Jew, a Muslim, and an Atheist. They all appreciated their Christmas ornaments I attached to their napkin rings.

This year, J has Christmas off, which is great. I think... We booked our tickets home on Northwest. Like all airlines, they have a temperature restriction for animals. Highly understandable. I took this into account last year when we booked and made sure we connected through Cincinnati rather than the Twin Cities for example. The last thing I wanted was to show up with Edgar in his cute crate and sweater for them to reject him. This year I gambled, crossed my fingers, toes, and whatever else, then prayed to whatever God/Angel/Deity I could think of when I purchased the tickets. Northwest's hub is Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Friday I began to abandon my magical thinking and did some research. The prognostic indicator of Edgar accompanying us is poor. I then began madly calling kennels. One guy told me that his waiting list was over 90 people long. I did make reservations (finally) but then became extremely upset thinking of Edgar in a metal box for 6 days. I didn't have this problem with all other childhood animals. Henry, my first dog, actually LOOKED FORWARD and would GET EXCITED about going to the kennel. We would know this when he would pick up on the scent and start dancing around the car as we got closer to his dog camp. He'd come back hoarse from barking non-stop and looking extremely pleased with himself.

Last year one of our local animal hospitals caught fire and they just reopened a couple of months ago. I don't think they had boarding there, but I began to freak out: what if the place I have Edgar's reservation catches fire? He'd be trapped in that metal cage!! (I think I'm premenstrual as well so the thought of this really sends me over the edge.) What I forget is that ANY place could catch fire. Fire is my biggest fear. I would spend hours at night as a little girl thinking of potential escape plans from my bedroom and actually bought my parents a fire extinguisher for Christmas one year. However, if this is how I'm thinking about my dog, what does it say about my future parenting???

At this point in time, I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed for high temperatures on 12/20 and 12/26 - our travel dates.

No comments: