Sunday, August 5, 2007

Countdown de Madre

To say that I'm excited about my mom coming in town is an understatement. I mean, I'm blogging about it and its still over a week away until she gets here. Its amazing to me that I haven't seen her in eight months. When I lived in SLC it was rare that I went more than 8 hours (aside from sleeping) without talking or seeing her. Saturdays were our "thing." We would always have lunch together. Often we would do other stuff like swim laps before, walk with the dogs after, shop, or just run errands. Most of the time I'd be talking her ear off.

She saw a very limited part of Indy when we drove cross country out here with Edgar last October. I think it was less than 18 hours before she got on a plane. We'll have about 4 days for this visit.

J and I have been trying to figure out fun things to do while she's here. We've been talking about restaurants, local neighborhoods to visit, meals we want to cook, etc., for about a month now. It dawned on us that we could even take her to the State Fair. I will say that this doesn't really rank high on my list, but J hasn't been to a State Fair since he lived in Minneapolis.

"I mean, they have to be at least 2 years behind Minnesota on their fried foods. Fried Snickers and Ding Dongs were sooo 2004 and yet I've heard radio ads raving about them. Besides where else can you get anything on a stick?"

Ok, so he had a point, but the last time I went to the State Fair with my mom I almost had her convinced that we needed to get a pet bunny. I think I was still considered a pre-teen and was still looking for Wilbur and Charlotte's proclamation of "some pig." My mom talked about how much fun the Missouri State Fair was when she was a girl. I personally found the Utah State Fair to be gang ridden and wondered how safe those rides really were. However, maybe a Midwest fair would be different. I'm open. I can test the waters.

I will say that it really won't matter what we'll do, I know we'll have fun. My mom has the best laugh of anyone I know. She also has a hysterical sense of humor. That and her sense of adventure should be enough to pack our 4 days to the brim. There is only one part of the trip that I'm worried about. What I really dread is taking her to the airport so she can fly back home.

No comments: