Saturday, August 4, 2007

I Got People

Friends really are the family you get to choose to have. In the past couple of weeks I have received a few "care packages," if you will from those across the country who truly "get" me. I was not expecting them and so it was sheer glee when I would find something besides bills and mass coupon fliers in the mail.

The first gift I received was this:My girlfriend, "Martha," had sent this to me knowing that: 1) I blog, 2) I'm out of books, and 3) I attempt to cook. Its about a woman who is trying to have a baby and decides to distract herself by cooking every recipe in Julia Child's cookbook then blogging about it. Its a true story. I devoured the book (pun intended) and then called Martha to tell her thank you a million times over.

"Hey, I know you are also addicted to the Sims," Martha left on a voice message. "We're in the process of moving and I might have a few add-on games if you want them. Otherwise I'll just send them back to the office with my husband. Let me know."

Martha "gets" me and does not shame me for my small but calculated addiction to this stupid game of micromanaging computer people. She doesn't get the game nor does my husband (who frequently teases me about it), but there is a whole world of people out there who do. It is a time consuming, no-harm/no-foul way to spend nights when J is on call. She also understands my consistent battle with clutter a la husbands as she too moved into his space when they got married. We have compared our unified battles on different fronts. She was also in the process of eliminating all other software editions like DOS based Quicken 1.0 and Word Pad from her husband's closet. I immediately texted her to say, "yes! yes! yes! send me the games!"

While I awaited my crack from my new found dealer in Cali, I received another GREAT package!Yes, that is Sarah Jessica Parker a la Carrie PRINTED ON a CD!!! This girlfriend in Texas shares my "fabulous" addiction to "Sex in the City" AND knows how much I love good music. She has always had a talent of finding the new "it" bands before they actually made it. I seriously do not know where she finds the time as she's also a full time mother of twins. Perhaps her third cousin is a recording studio scout or something, who knows? All I do know is that she has the best taste in music, in my most humble opinion.

There were 3 cd's but one of them promptly landed in my car for my long commute to Noblesville, Indiana. As I jammed out to Fiest, I promptly had a bad day at work showing my best scatterbrained self to my boss first hand. Good times. However, a little new Ryan Adams lifted my spirits on the way home. Oh and I should mention the girl found the time to make the cd's, write a cute note on Olivia stationary (yes, the twins are girls), and mailed them to me before jumping on a plane back to SLC for her grandfather's funeral. Oh. My. Hell.

As I got home last night, my poor pneumonia ridden husband was post call and pointed to a box while in the midst of a coughing fit. He actually missed his own doctor's appointment for a chest x-ray because he was having a death and dying conversation with a family in the ICU. Poor guy. But then I looked at the box. It wasn't just any box.
Do you see that it is a FUN box? It is also a dead giveaway for Martha. My crack had arrived!! Now, I was just thinking a game extension or two, but when I opened the box this is what I found:
Are you counting the games????!!!! 14!!! This wasn't just a game or two. This was the whole freakin' collection!! Her husband is a big wig with a software company. It was like Christmas so as my husband, looking a little gray, lay on the bed I began to jump up and down on it with glee! He just kind of patted my hand and said, "Does this mean your day has gotten better?" I couldn't really answer as I was fondling all of the plastic boxes and was in sensory overload. So he said, "It must be nice to know people who KNOW people." Oh, yeah.

I called Martha this morning to tell her she was the best enabler I have ever had! Not only that, but I figured out a way to import the music on the CD's into the game so I can listen to the cool music while I play!

I have to say it isn't really about any of the stuff, although I tell you it is freakin awesome! I'm always thrilled when a card arrives in the mail. It just means that you are loved and cared for so much that someone took the time to do something that nice for you. I'm also a true believer in karma. Put it out to the universe what you'd like to receive. I sent my mom, my mother-in-law, my grandmother, and my Texas girlfriend care packages just the other day.

I got people and I will never take that for granted.

No comments: