Thursday, August 23, 2007

Petroleum BBQ, anyone?

"You know, I saw at the Weber store you can buy blocks of different hardwood and make your own charcoal." J stated last night as we were getting ready to throw on some water soaked hickory chips onto the hot coals.

"Um, hardwood?" I must have looked confused. I also knew that delving into the next line of questioning would further perpetuate me into the dumb blond category even though I'm a brunette. "I have to ask, but is that what charcoal is made of?"

"Yes. Wood. What did you think it was made out of?"

"Something from the ground?" The minute I said it, I realized it sounded ridiculous considering that the last thing people would want is fossil fuel flavored grilled meat.

"No, that is just coal. However, how about when those Christmas trees spontaneously combust then I'll show you where hardwood charcoal comes from." He couldn't help but smirk. "Sometimes I seriously wonder how you got along without me."

No comments: